Syrian Hackers Deface the Website of Brown County, Ohio

Syria-News today reported that Syrian Hackers defaced the website of Brown County, Ohio. Below you’ll find a screen grab of the page that was still defaced at the time of writing this post. The hackers went by the names The Pro, SaQeR SyRia, and boy-25 and identified themselves as being from the Occupied Golan Heights.

Screen capture of Brown County website, accessed 10:00 am EST, Feb 16, 2011

The hackers did not list any demands apart from apparently bringing attention to the Golan Heights which Israel invaded in 1967 and annexed later completely ignoring International Law and UN resolutions. Unfortunately Brown County was punished for a crime it didn’t commit. Hacking is in no way acceptable. Surely you can’t hope to solve major regional geopolitical problems by hacking websites of an innocent county in north-eastern US. The hack seems to have happened some time ago, at least it’s been long enough for Google spiders to index it:

Screen capture of Brown County Ohio Google search, accessed 10:30 am EST, Feb 16, 2011

Syrian reactions to the news were divided between cheering the hackers on and berating them. Below are some translations of comments left on the afore-mentioned Syria-news article:

Susu: You’re a master, keep on hacking other Israeli and American websites!

Rami: What an achievement! People show off scientific discoveries and inventions and you go about hacking American websites? I don’t know what to say… you’re leaving us with no friends

blah: Bravo! make them hate us more!

Huda: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. This is a stupid operation that is surely to backfire. What’s the use? Is it just to show off? Does inserting the Quran help Islam or harms it? [...] I believe this is an operation to link Syria to Islamist terrorism.

Mahmoud: DUMB TERRORIST! Do you know what you’re doing? Do you realize that you’re acting like Al Qaeda? Do you know that you’re linking Syria to Al Qaeda  when you abuse the Quran and use it in your operation? Oh my God how will we make you understand?

Hacking governmental website has become a common occurrence in Syria recently. Youth have repeatedly hacked the websites of ministries and universities as they view it their only way to get their demands across to the government. The demands varied between asking for a better education, protesting unemployment, and frequent power outages. Sometimes, their only target was to point out security flaws in these websites suggesting that the government should invest some more in protecting its online presence.

1. I will never stand with such actions but I understand how these guys really feel, they are trying to do whatever they can to prove to U.S. and Israel that Arabs can do more. Call it whatever you want but they are trying to express their way.

I’m totally against this, tho!.

2. KK says:

Interesting info. just stumbled upon this blog. Nice one!

3. Carlos GHazarian says:

All I want to Say is !! FUCK YOU MU3ARADA !!! … YOU DNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SYRIA SO DNT SPEAK BEFORE I BUST YOUR FUCKING ASS OFF YOUR BODY BY FUCKING IT !! >>> AND WHO CARES IF SOME FUCKING AMERICANS HATE US !! they are stupid people … but there gov is strong but we have Russia !! FOR MOTHER RUSSIA CONRAD :P
    SO I JUST WANT TO SAY KIP OUT THE GOOD WORK MAN ;) … hack more American and United Kingdom and Canadian And French Websites :) … Well Done .. !! well Done !! YoU ArE ThE MaN !! :P … From Syrian BOY !! Suriya Alah 7Amiha Wel 7ader ye3lem 2el ghayeb :P

• Anas says:

Big words for a 14 year old. Here’s what I suggest: Learn how to spell, then learn your history (hint: search online for neutral sources). Online threats are not “patriotic.” They’re pathitic and only harm you’re cause and the regime you’re defending. Vandalism? Doesn’t help your case either.

Grow up, learn how to have a conversation, and maybe come back in a few(or many) years when you’re mature enough to know what you’re talking about, and how to be part of a civilized conversation. You’re embarrassing yourself.

• Carlos GHazarian says:

dear Anas , defending my country is not embarrassment , but when I’m talking about my country and country people in a bad way , and letting people laugh about my country is embarrassment , but if you where a Christian you would know , How would be the life of a christian in Syira without this President , if Bashar al Assad is gone , than all the Christian are gone , by Killing and slaughtering , sure you are living in America . But you are not in Syira and you don’t know Anything about Syria , And the Life in it . and let me tell you Something … If your father or you have stollen Something . From this Country or done Something wrong , you can turn now if you really love your country …But you don’t have what it takes to be a good Country man , you just hid behind presidents and reach people and defend them and you don’t know anything about them , and yes I don’t know how to write or spell or talk civilized way , But at least I know 5 different languages . And I’m Sorry that I love My country And My President and The Most My Humanity .

4. Macster says:

Don t understand how exactly i got in here but i m really glad i ve found it. Hmmm… i m starting to believe google is begining to read my mind :) Nice work!

5. Nishant says:

Thanks for the heads up. Just to say, I kinda liked the deface page design :P